When children enter the foster care system, they frequently arrive at their new foster home with nothing. If they have been allowed to bring along some items, often they have been shoved hastily into a trash bag. We think kids going through such a traumatic time deserve better.
A Hope Pack is a backpack or diaper bag filled with comfort items and essentials intended to help ease the transition for children who are entering a new foster home. Our goal is to offer items that a child entering foster care would either need or could find comfort in during those first 48 hours in care — you would be amazed what a fresh pair of jammies and a soft teddy bear can do for a child in crisis. Hope Packs also allow foster parents to focus solely on a child in those first crucial hours and days instead of rushing out to the store.
Hope Packs are distributed directly to CPS as well as to foster care agencies all over Central Texas. Since we became a 501(c)(3) nonprofit in July 2016, more than 1,000 foster children have received our Hope Packs. If you’re thinking about making a Hope Pack, we hope you will. Please browse our supply lists to see the items needed to construct a pack.
You can shop for Hope Pack items at any of your favorite retail stores.
Scroll to bottom for drop off information once you have completed a Hope Pack.
Short on time? For $85 you can purchase a Hope Pack here, and designate the age and gender of your choice. Every pack is brimming with adorable comfort items and essentials for a child entering the foster care system, providing them with some much-needed comfort and hope in a moment of crisis.
CARRYING HOPE MOST NEEDED ITEMS:
Even if you don’t have time to make a complete Hope Pack, you can still help a child entering foster care by donating one of our most-needed items. Please note that all items must be new with tags on.
- Diapers, any size 0-5 (small pack)
- Pull-ups, boys or girls size 3T-4T (small pack)
- Soft blankets (boy, girl or gender neutral)
- Small stuffed animals
- Small bottle set (includes one or two bottles)
- Wipes (small pack)
- Receiving blankets (small pack)
- Formula (box of single-serve packets or small can)
- Onesies and jammies, boy or girl ages 0-18 months
- Jammies, boy or girl, any age 2- to 16-year-old
- Outfits, boy or girl, any age 2- to 16-year-old
- Boys and girls underwear packs, any age between 3-year-old and 16-year-old
- Socks, any age between 3-year-old and 16-year-old
- Small toddler girl toys (Sesame Street, Daniel Tiger, Sofia the First, Disney princess, etc.)
- Small toddler boy toys (Sesame Street, Daniel Tiger, Thomas, trucks, Disney Planes/Cars, etc.)
- Small boys toys (Legos, small Disney Car/Planes, trucks, Play-Doh, superheroes, etc.)
- Small girls toys (baby doll/accessories, Play-Doh, Disney princess, Shopkins, Littlest Pet Shop, LEGO Friends, etc.)
- Tween/teen girl toys and activities (necklace/bracelet making kit, craft kit, games, etc.)
- Tween/teen boy toys and activities (LEGOs, Minecraft figures, Star Wars, etc.)
- Travel-size toiletries for teen boys or girls (body wash, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, body spray, etc.)
- Books for any age 1-16 (board books, nighttime books, early readers, tween/teen options, etc.)
- Activity or coloring books with crayons
- Amazon, Target and Walmart gift cards
- Backpacks and diaper bags (can be girls, boys or gender neutral)
You can mail or drop off Hope Packs and most-needed items at
9600 Escarpment Blvd. Suite 745-239
Austin, TX 78749
Bring them directly to our office at
8711 Burnet Rd., Suite A-15
Austin, TX 78757
Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine an alternate Austin location.